Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm sorry, what?

Sarah, I saw your request for pictures, so Keana and I will have to take a walk tomorrow and see what I can show you.

I went for a run this morning and while my brother was drawing the map of where I should go, there was nary a street name mentioned. Not so well marked out here, so he was describing weird things like, "The parking lot over there is sort of big." I'd say 95% of the buildings here are white with a red tile roof. It's disconcerting for those of us who maybe don't have the best sense of direction.

My 7-year-old niece did get us home today, though, to her credit. I tried a shortcut that Tom recommended without having seen it and pulled up at one point and said, "Does this look right?" And she's like, "No, but our house is over there." I also got to be that awesome American today when we went to a pool, and I didn't know how to tell the lady what she needed to know. I asked Keana, and she told me and I was all, "Do you need a cough drop or something?" So she did all of the talking for me. And we stopped for ice cream on the way home and she handled that, too. Awesome.

It's actually a little bit disconcerting. While I was running, I had on my iPod, and I was in my zone and someone said something to me, and pulling out the earbuds didn't help. I think they were just being friendly, but I'll never really know. I guess learning a little more of the language wouldn't kill me. So far, I've learned a lot of food names. Banana is banane. But it's the "eh" sound at the end not "ay". I keep saying it wrong, and it's driving Keana bananas.

That's all I've got for now. I'll work on the pictures tomorrow.

OH WAIT! I forgot the other weird thing- my computer and iPod have both figured out that we're in Germany, so not even this blog looks right when I sign in. It's very strange.

2 comments:

Mom x 3 said...

I love reading your blog!! It's so you, and I love it! :) I am glad you are enjoying your time in Germany!! (Hey, are you running for another marathon or just because? If you're doing another marathon, I'd love to do one with you, but so not this year!!!)

Jay ... said...

Rachel's back and blogging...

- Lackey