I'm home sick today, and to cheer myself up I decided to make a list of what I'm thankful for (since I didn't get around to it last week.) This is probably going to get sappy.
1. I'm thankful for my freedom and independence. Every time I get a bit down about the pathetic state of my love life, I remind myself that my single existence is what allows me to do things like take 4 big trips over the summer or take a sick day that means I can lay on the couch all day without bothering anyone or worrying about infecting others. So while I do get lonely sometimes, there are a lot of perks here, including the fact that I'm already looking into flights for another Europe trip this summer. Plus a trip to Martha's Vineyard in July.
2. I found a career that I love. This is not to say that I don't have rough days or days when I long for a break, but for the most part I love my time with the kids. I feel like it matters whether or not I show up for work. I feel like I'm good at what I do.
3. My family and friends. I've always liked that saying about your friends being the family you choose for yourself. I am so fortunate to be surrounded by people who love and support me unconditionally on a day-to-day basis and in a forever kind of way. I get to travel far and wide because I have people who want me around and welcome me into their homes. That is not a bad thing.
4. My bikes. It's a better way to see the world and work to keep my butt smaller. Win-win.
5. A re-found love of cooking. It makes life so much easier.
6. My DVR. Guess what I'm doing today!
SOTD: Tymps (Sick in the Head) by Fiona Apple. Because I'm a bit sick in the head at the moment. Sinuses, if you want to be specific.