Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Living legacy

Ashley was thinking about giving me crap for not posting much (like she's so great about it), but I've been busy with the sickness or funerals.

I stayed home from work again today. I think my body was just like, "Look, you're exhausted and you're not going to get any better if you don't sleep..." so it made sleeping all day today a non-negotiable issue.

But let me just say this: Saying goodbye to my grandpa was very hard, but very beautiful. I almost put on makeup the morning of the funeral- something I rarely do- but then I looked in the mirror and thought, "Really, you big cry baby? You think you're going to make it?" And that was a wise decision. Buying stock in Kleenex last week would have been a wise move. I'm actually surprised that I didn't hear financial analysts talking about it.

SOTD is sappy today.

Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg. My cousin Shaughn reworked the lyrics of this song as a tribute at the funeral, and I'm pretty sure there was not a dry eye in the house when he finished. I was sitting right in front of him, and I have no idea how he made it through. But looking around the church that day, I couldn't think of a more fitting tribute than a song that says that we are nothing but his living legacy. Sheer numbers alone would be impressive (11 kids, 35 grandkids, 19 great-grandkids but that will probably shoot up to 20 by the end of this week), but everyone within that group is also amazing. Well done, Grandpa. Well done.

I'll try to get back to smart-assery and shenanigans soon. This weekend is showing some promise on that end.

XOXO,

Rachel

No comments: