Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So Gross.

So, here I am, still Sicky Sickerson, but home from school today because I just couldn't go in again feeling so bad. I woke up this morning feeling just as horrendous as I have for the past 4 mornings, and I just couldn't deal. I can't sleep through the night, and I was cranky and emotional about it. I re-read the notes from my dr. visit, and remembered that she told me I could try a neti pot. (If you don't know what that is, I'll wait while you google it because I'm too lazy to explain it.) The thought of it grosses me out- every time anyone has ever brought it up to me, I've been like, "Yeah, or I could stick a needle in my eye or eat glass." But this morning? This morning, I was desperate. So I dragged my sorry ass out of bed and got myself to Walgreens to buy this thing, then dragged myself back home, giving myself a pep talk the whole time. "If this helps, it's worth it, right? I bet it's not that weird. You're going to feel so much better- look! The box says instant relief! Doesn't that sound nice?"

Let me tell you something- it was, quite possibly, the nastiest thing I have ever intentionally done to my face. I don't even want to think about what I saw happening, but the word "drainage" has a whole new meaning for me. And it was not instant relief, but you know what? Two hours later, it's like the fog in my brain is lifted and I can function again. I'm not 100% by any means, but I'm not laying here wishing for a fever so that I could get some drugs. (Which is seriously how I've spend a good chunk of the last few days. I'm going cross-eyed from trying to read my thermometer while it's in my mouth.)

I'm going to spend the rest of the day sitting directly on my ass, and making sure I'm really recuperating so that I can go back to school tomorrow like someone who cares, because I really feel like I need to. (Those kids deserve a teacher who actually wants to see them, not one that is sort of hoping they won't talk to her.) But I'm not dying anymore, and that's the important part. Also? The box says there are people who do this daily to keep their sinuses clean, and that is the weirdest shit I have ever heard. People are CRAZY.

Coming soon? Updates you'll actually be interested in, like the introduction of Banjo Boy. (Nickname courtesy of my sister- thanks Sarah!) You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned match in awhile. Also, Captain Obvious challenges you to guess what instrument he plays.

SOTD goes out to my neti pot- You Are the Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne. "You know I need you hear to clear my mind..."

No comments: