Sunday, October 12, 2008

Running down a dream

Today was the Chicago Marathon, and it is HOT out there. I went down super early like I always do and stand on my street and clap and cheer until my arms want to fall off and I'm on the verge of losing my voice. Because it's worth it. Because when I ran three years ago, it's the closest I've ever come to feeling like a rock star, or like people were supporting me while I was doing something hard even when they didn't know me. It's the most amazing feeling, and I hope people are feeling that today, even on this too hot to run kind of day.

Once upon a time, I was one of you. And at that time, I knew what it was like to have the best cheerleaders in the world (seriously, everyone who was near me was insanely jealous) and I knew that everyone was pulling for me. And I knew that we all had fun laughing at me when everyone came over afterwards and my feet were huge and I couldn't even sit upright to eat. It was totally worth it. I'll probably never do it again, but it was something I had to do and I'm so glad I did.

Hope this wasn't a rambling mess. Go runners!

SOTD: Running Down a Dream by Tom Petty. Because it is a dream. I crossed the finish line in tears and yelled to my brother, "Hey Tom! I'm a badass!" Happy Sunday everyone.

No comments: