Sunday, July 20, 2008

Still got love for the streets

When I got back from my mountain getaway to CO and MT, it was the first time in my nearly five years in Chicago where I came home and didn't feel that rush of love for the city. I felt like everything was too crowded, and I couldn't spend a day outside and I started making noises about moving to Boulder or Seattle or Portland. I'd still have access to the big city things I liked, but I could be in a quieter place. With mountains to play on! In Boulder, I'd even have my sister to play with, and I wouldn't always be so stinkin' far away from all of my siblings. I wouldn't have to deal with rush hour trains or Cubs crowds making me not want to leave the house. I started thinking that for all of the big city things that I claim to love, I wasn't doing any of them. I remembered that part of why I moved here was because I wanted to work in the music industry, and that definitely no longer stands. I talked to some people about it, and owned up to the fact that it could just be post-vacation blues, but that I was really thinking about leaving. In all of that, I finally realized that I'd have to start over not just with a job, housing, etc, but with all new friends. And I have already done that so many times in my life. So I started to back away from it, thinking, "Eh, I guess it's not so bad. At least I have people to play with." Which is not a ringing endorsement. But then there are other things- I can decide on the spur of the moment to spend a week in WI with my mom. I can jet up to Milwaukee for a concert and see people who have known me forever and they love me, too. It's not just people to play with, it's people I genuinely like and enjoy sharing my life with. The kind of people I see in my life for years and years to come.

And then this morning- I went to see The Dark Knight at the Imax Theatre. At 6 am. That is not a typo. I thought Blaire was kidding when she asked me about going. When my alarm went off at 5, I thought, "This is a really dumb idea." But then I jumped on my bike, and took a ride down the lakefront and watched the sunrise over Lake Michigan (to get to the theatre.) It was beautiful, and quiet...and hilarious to see people doing some serious walks of shame. I liked the movie. I usually don't get that into the ones with all of the crazy hype, and I think maybe it was a little too built up for me, but I did like it. What I liked best though was the fact that it was mainly shot here in my beautiful city, and I think we did Gotham proud. And I realized that for all my nuttiness, this is my home now. I love it. I guess I won't be going anywhere anytime soon. (I'm not staying because it was in a movie, but seeing it in the movie made me proud. That makes sense, right?)

For today's song of the day, I'm going to go totally sissified. We're going with "Home" by Michael Buble.

Also, I realize that this has not been very funny lately. I'll try to do something drunk and ridiculous soon...or maybe try speed dating. You know that'll be funny.

No comments: