Monday, August 11, 2008

Recession

First, before I get all serious, if you want other nostalgia from my college years, see Jay's blog about High Life. It cracked me up. But only go look if you've got a lot of time for the You Tube-ing. (Tubing?)

Onto some social commentary. Or at least something resembling it.

I keep hearing all of this talk about whether or not we are in a recession, and all this talk of people cutting corners and losing their homes, and to be honest, it sort of goes right over my head. As someone who has been "voluntarily" unemployed since March, believe you me, I know a thing or two about cutting corners. But it felt like it was just me cutting back until recently. Not in a self-centered way, but knowing that I had to cut corners made sense and I didn't really feel like I saw it happening around me. I was walking down one of the big streets in my neighborhood, and I counted 4 cute little boutique-y stores with "Store Closing" signs in the window. Then today, I heard that a very good friend of mine was laid off by a company that I used to work for. I have mixed emotions about the company, but I was always happy that they seemed to be good to her. And she seems fine, but I am pissed on her behalf. She's very "Everything happens for a reason" but I am totally sending some evil eye in their direction.

I don't know. Just everyone out there? Try to put a little money away for a rainy day, but I'll keep hoping for sunny skies over you.

Song of the day: Money, Money, Money by ABBA/Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia. (PS- go see this movie. It just makes me happy.)

No comments: